About Me

My photo
I'm a multi-published author of paranormal erotic romance with Siren Publishing, Evernight Publishing and Ellora's Cave. Hailing from south Louisiana, I like to think I bring a little Cajun spice to the Cabal of Hotness. You can't have heat with out it!

Monday, September 28, 2009

It's Rejection Day!

Me and my melodrama. It hasn't been a day of rejections, but I'm finally beginning to hear back from most of the agents I queried and the news hasn't been good. Oh, they're all very polite saying though my work sounds interesting, it just isn't what they're looking for. That's okay. To quote my mother, "One day, you're gonna remember this and you'll be sorry". Probably not. I know they have to find something they really believe in, which is why I'm not all that torn up about it.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from pouting about it. Then I get to thinking about what's wrong with it. Is there something wrong with it? Am I just sending it to the wrong people? Maybe I shouldn't have included the line 'you'll never read anything better than this' (I didn't do that, but its true!) ;) Just kidding.

So now I'm dealing with rejection. This is where I pull out the tissue and sob about how none of the agents ever loved me and didn't give me a chance. Uh-huh. No, this is really the part where I sit down with my current WIP and write the best story I can. That's all this industry is about, writing the best story you possibly can and making sure you get it to the right people at the right time.

In the past couple of weeks, I've commented on other author's pages about rejections and my fears and I have two comments I'm going to share here (they're not verbatim, but close enough):

I fear I'll get a note from an editor/agent saying 'This MS sucks so much, Hoover might be the only one interested in it.'

The other fear, is that the editors who have my full MS are going to send me an urn filled with the ashes of my manuscript. Attached will be a note that says:

Dear Ms. Avet,

We are sorry to inform you that your manuscript, Ruby: Uncut and on the Loose has passed away. It fought the good fight, but after numerous slashes with the red pen, died from a lack of wit and plot. To save you the despair of burying your manuscript yourself, we decided to cremate it in an intricate ceremony complete with champagne and a weenie roast. The service was attended by all the editors here at (insert publishing house) and a lovely time was had by all. We're sending copies of the pictures from the service and the after party.

Sincerely,
Editors

Melodramatic? Who, me? ;)

Current score in Ruby's struggle to publication: Agents/Editors 6, Danica and Ruby: 3

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you haven't found the Perfect Agent yet. Best of luck on the search!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danica! I am sooooo sorry. YES! I have had those rejection days too. I am the type that will query 10 agents in one night and of course they all seem to reject me on the same day. I have begun to see more personal rejections than I used to. That to me means I am getting a little better and on my way. WE WILL GET THERE!!! Good luck and keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete